Students are expected to:
- wear a white tailored shirt which must be tucked into your waistband with a top button that must be fastened;
- wear the school tie which must be fastened using a sensible sized knot, which must sit between the collar of the shirt; the tie must be of a suitable length;
- wear the school jumper with the academy logo; this must also be worn at all times unless stated otherwise by a member of staff;
- wear plain black tailored trousers with black socks. Tailored means not tight fitting or figure hugging and not made from stretchy fabrics. Any other style of trouser is not permitted. If a student chooses to wear a belt, it must be black and have a suitable buckle;
- wear plain black leather shoes. All shoes must be free of any branding and must have black laces. All shoes must have a flat sole and sit below the ankle (not ankle boots).
Academy Guidance on clothing and footwear
Student form groups are allocated to one of four ‘houses’. Each student must wear the appropriate colour tie to match that of their house.
Trousers must be tailored and not tight fitting / skinny in style. They must also not have excessive buttons or zips on the pockets.
Tailored trousers as, shown below for both boys and girls, are available from suppliers such as Asda and Tesco from as little as £3.
Belts must be plain black with a non-branded, plain buckle.
All students are expected to wear plain black leather shoes. No leather look trainers are permitted. All shoes must be free of any branding and must have black laces. All shoes must have a flat sole and sit below the ankle (not ankle boots).
Shoes for Boys:
Shoes for Girls:
Hooded tops and Outdoor Coats
- other than the school jumper displaying the academy logo, no other jumper should be worn. No hooded tops are to be worn on the premises of the academy.
- outdoor items such as outdoor coats, hats and scarves can be worn to and from the academy however these should be removed before entering the buildings;
- during periods of inclement weather, we encourage students to wear suitable outdoor coats to make sure that they remain warm and dry.
Jewellery and Appearance
Unnecessary jewellery should not be worn for safety reasons:
- Students are allowed to wear a watch (smart watches and fitness trackers are not permitted), one discreet ring per hand and one earring per earlobe – small stud only. Earrings may be plain gold, silver, diamante or pearl, but must not be any colour or in any pattern other than a stud. These must be removed for PE. No other facial piercings are allowed.
- Students are not permitted to wear necklaces and bracelets/bands (other than for faith reasons), however, students are allowed to wear one charity band. Where students do not follow the rules, the jewellery must be taken off and a negative comment issued.
- Excessive make-up: is unnecessary and should not be worn. If make-up does not comply with academy policy, then the student will be sent to their Pastoral Support Officer/ Student Services and will be required to wash it off – a negative comment will be issued. Appropriate make-up is allowed and is defined as: foundation (appropriate to the student’s skin tone), black or brown mascara which should be worn discretely, a small amount of neutral eye shadow if required. No eyeliner, blusher or bronzer is to be worn.
- Fake eyelashes: are not permitted – a negative comment (U) to be issued and students should not wear them in the future.
- Nails: false / acrylic nails should not be worn. Coloured nail varnish is not permitted.
- Hair Styles: should not reflect the extremes of ‘youth culture’, for example shaved lines and patterns on the side of the head. Hair colouring must be subtle and in natural colours – no pinks, reds, blues, two tone colour patterns or dip dye. Students with inappropriate hairstyles will be sent to their Learning Manager / Behaviour Leader and placed in Isolation for 3 days (KS3) or 4 days (KS4).
- Tatoos: Tatoos or body piercings must not be visible.
School bags must be able to hold an A4 book. Sports/Gym bags and Messenger bags are not appropriate and should not be used. Below are some images of bags deemed to be inappropriate.
Students must come to school with a sturdy bag. The bag must be of a suitable size to hold their planner, equipment and books. Below are some images of the types of bags that we deem to be appropriate.
All students to wear the new school PE uniform. This consists of:
- black polo shirt with the ‘Bruntcliffe Academy logo;
- black shorts;
- black football socks;
- Black Hoodie with Bruntcliffe Academy logo.
- Optional plain black base layer top and leggings.
Our equipment requirements for September 2020 include:
- 2 x Black Pens
- 2 x Pencils
- 2 x Pencils
- 1 x Green Pen (Dark green only)
- 1 x Ruler
- 1 x Rubber
- 1 x Glue Stick
- 1 x English Dictionary
- 1 x Black Non-permanent Whiteboard Pen (Provided by the academy)
- 1 x Scientific Calculator (Recommended: Casio FX-83GTPLUS / FX-85GTPLUS)
- 1 x MFL Dictionary* (Required: Collins Pocket School Dictionary)
*An MFL Dictionary (where required) will be provided to students in September free of charge. Should a student lose their dictionary, they will be required to purchase a new one from Student Services at a cost of £2.