Did you know – if you’re on benefits, your child may be entitled to free school meals!

Every day children and young people across Leeds are missing out on their free school meal. Child Friendly Leeds encourages families to check if they are eligible – it could save £10 a week for each child.

Families who are entitled to free school meals are in receipt of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £16,190, provided they are not receiving Working Tax Credit
  • The ‘Guaranteed’ element of the State Pension Credit
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Please note: people receiving Working Tax Credit, regardless of their income level, do not qualify.

To find out if you are eligible and receive a claim form call Leeds Revenues and Benefits Service on 0113 2523 225. If you would like support in filling out the form please contact us and we can support you in the process.

If your child is currently in receipt of Free School Meals you are entitled to financial assistance in respect of enrichment visits. For full details of The GORSE Academies Trust’s policy please visit the policies section of the website and refer to The Charging and Remissions Policy.

To access the financial support in respect of enrichment visits you will need to complete a FSM Enrichment Remuneration Request Form for each enrichment visit you wish your child to take part in. This form must be handed in to the Visit Leader at the same time as the signed consent form for the trip. Applications made after this date will only by accepted if a change in circumstances can be evidenced. In general, unless there are exceptional circumstances, you should anticipate to at least cover the cost of the transport.

If your child is not currently in receipt of Free School Meals but you are experiencing financial hardship or your child is a Looked After Child, it may be possible to access some financial support in respect of educational visits. To be considered for this please make an application to our Supporting Achievement Fund (SAF) by completing a SAF form which can be accessed HERE.

If you have any questions please contact your child’s Student Performance Leader/Head of Year.

download the Enrichment Remuneration Request Form